Well, hello there good-looking! Welcome! This is officially our first blog post and we wanted to introduce ourselves.
My name is Alfreda and I’m not a Johnson YET but I officially have 330 days left. Woowoot! I currently live in Washington, DC but I’m originally from South FL. When I tell people this, the first question is always, “Why would you move from FL to DC??!???!” usually accompanied with some awe-struck/disgusted look. Listen, Florida is great but it’s not all it’s cracked up to be. Especially if you’re in your late 20s. I got all of the partying out of my system in college and decided to lead an adult life. So for me that meant, my own place, bills, a great job, and hanging out with friends at intellectually stimulating places like lounges and poetry clubs/bookstores. Not to say that FL doesn’t have those places but it’s pretty club heavy mostly in places like Fort Lauderdale and Miami. So….I decided to move to DC where I could find more opportunity and a variety of activities. Plus, I think I just like the big city.
I got my degree in English Arts so naturally I became a teacher. I LOVE teaching especially elementary school (3rd graders are my favorite)! I was a temporary after school teacher when I first got here and that job ended. Finding that school board laws are vastly different from FL, I couldn’t become a permanent teacher just yet. So, needing some income, I was hired at a major university and now I help edit and format grants and do all the HR work for my department. It’s a great job and I like the people I work with (my director is a ball of positivity and has energy for days); however, there’s a more creative side to me that people don’t know about. There’s so much more to me than my 9 to 5 and my degree (ha, that rhymed).
Mosey on over to our About Us page to see us and why we started this blog.
With that said, here are 5 random facts about me:
1. I tell stories…about everything. If something happened at work or in my life, I will always give you the back story, the events leading up, the main event, and the aftermath. I never realized I was doing it until my best friend and Harvey told me. No, I don’t know why I do it. lol Maybe that’s the underlying reason I became an English major.
2. I’m allergic to dogs but I’ve always wanted a Siberian Husky.
3. I am Ghanaian; my father is from Ghana, West Africa. I have 3 middle names. All of which have a significant or cultural meaning but only 2 fit on my driver’s license.
4. I can remember just about anybody’s face and first name that I’ve ever come in contact with since kindergarten. If I say I don’t know you, I’m pretending. I don’t want to seem like a crazy stalker. lol
5. I laugh out loud to myself ALL THE TIME (from things that happened before). So, if you’re around me please don’t take it too personal. I’m not laughing at you…maybe =)
That’s all folks! Until next time…
Side note: Do they have emoticons? emojis? those things.. for blogs? I need those in my life. Ha! Bye =)
P.S. Random pictures of me just because 😉